ISLAMABAD: Undergraduate scholarships for Gilgit-Baltistan students have been offered by the Higher Education Commission (HEC).
- Scholarship will cover tuition, hostel fee, and other expenses amounting to a maximum of Rs240,000 per year.
- Students who wish to apply must be in possession of a G-B domicile/ local certificate.
- Scholarship will be awarded irrespective of the gender, caste, race, or religion of the candidate.
The scholarship would allow students from the region to study at top Pakistani colleges and educational institutes, according to a statement released by the board.
“Applications are requested from exceptional candidates from Gilgit-Baltistan who wish to pursue undergraduate studies (four/five years BS programmes) at HEC-recognised public sector universities/degree-awarding institutions (DAIs),” according to the announcement.
Titled “Undergraduate Scholarship Programme for the Students of Gilgit-Baltistan in Top Universities/Institutions (Batch-I)”, the scheme is being offered for the academic year 2021-2022 and students from all areas of studies and disciplines will be eligible to apply.
Per the guidelines issued by the HEC, students will have to fulfil certain criteria to be able to avail the opportunity, which would be competitive in nature.
- The students must be in possession of a G-B domicile/ local certificate.
- Applicants must have completed their matric or intermediate degrees at the time of application and preference will be given to those who have completed their studies in G-B.
- Those who are availing any other scholarships will NOT be eligible to apply.
- The scholarship will allow students to seek admission to any public sector university or higher educational institution of Pakistan, however, any expenditure over and above the cost given in PC-I will have to be borne by the students themselves.
- Students must not be more than 23 years of age at the time of application.
- Students will have to meet the HEC and university criteria for admission in BS programmes.
- Short-listing of candidates will be carried out based on their scores in Aptitude Test conducted by HEC’s education testing council, and their academic credentials.
- Candidates must obtain at least 50% marks in the aptitude test.
- Students who are already enrolled in a BS programme in a public university/ institution for a maximum of one year will be able to apply.
- The scholarship will be awarded irrespective of the gender, caste, race, or religion of the candidate.
What will the scholarship cover?
Per the notification, the scholarship will cover the following:
- Tuition, hostel fee, and other education-related expenses amounting to a maximum of Rs240,000 per year.
- A stipend of Rs15,000 per month.
- Books and travel allowance amounting to Rs30,000 per year.
Where to apply?
If you wish to apply for the scholarship, visit https://eportal.hec.gov.pk. Students who wish to apply will have to pay Rs500. Hard copies of the application will not be accepted, therefore, all aspiring candidates will have to apply online.